About Me

My photo
I'm a 24 year old mommy and full-time student. I love learning and going to school, but I'd love even more to be finished with school!

Thursday, December 3, 2009

Final Post

Photo of a penguin holding a sign 'teacher's pet'
This semester has flown by and it's hard to believe it is over. As I look back on all the things that I've learned and how they can be useful to a classroom teacher, I am surprised at how much I didn't know. I composed a list... :)
1. Google Earth - This program has some truely amazing features. There are many lessons that could come from this program and then integrated into other subjects. Literature (Lit Trips), Science (maps, land features, topography), Social Studies, Math. The possibilities go on.
2. Blogging - Teaching a child to publish his own work is very important.
3. Skype
4. iTunes
5. igoogle.
This semester has shown me that as a teacher, the possibilities are endless.

There really isn't any ONE thing that I wish we'd have done. If I had to pick something, it would be - become more familiar with a smartboard and it's programs.
I think that today's classrooms are stocked with machines such as these and if the teachers that are in those classrooms were more familiar with the technology, they would get much more bang for their buck. I feel that we do our students a disservice by having access to technology and not using it to its full potential.

The one thing that this class did teach me was how to make a spread sheet grade book and I don't think I will ever use that. I like the old fashioned way. And most schools now have their own electronic gradebook. SO, that said, I do feel that this was a pointless lesson.

This class did not excite me. There were a few days when I thought "Wow, that's kinda cool." But rarely did I get that feeling. I think one of the main reasons is because I'm fairly comfortable with technology. I felt that everything I learned in this classroom I could have easily taught myself.

The only real challenge this class posed me was the group power point presentation. This activity wsan't particularly challenging other than the group part. I don't like to work in groups and I hate having to rely on someone else for a portion of my grade. Fortunately for me, I had a great partner and she helped me to overcome this feeling of worry early on. :)

I was bored many nights. I think that this could have been prevented or corrected by having more organization. There were many nights that we would get to class and our teacher wouldn't have the necessary materials to present the information by no fault of her own. The material hadn't been made available to her either. This was frustrating. (I do know that this was an issue that could not have been prevented, only corrected by the material being made accessible to our instructor by the department.)

Nothing in particular that I would add, but I would maybe leave out the Comments 4 Kids. I like the idea, but sometimes I felt overwhelmed by having so many different blog posts to do per week, plus other activities.

I think thay my tech-literacy is a bit better than average. I may not know everything about everything, but I am comfortable fumbling my way through until I can navigate a system fairly well. I think that this class has helped me become more comfortable with certain programs. I had never blogged before this class and I'm thinking of creating a personal blog. :)

I love to learn new things. I thinkb between now and the time I graduate I will continue to use iTunesU, google, and blogging. By blogging I mean, updating a personal blog as well as read others blogs. By reading other peoples blogs you are able to stay up-to-date on new technologies that other people post about. This will keep me informed and interested in new things. There are several things that I intend to use in the classroom once I graduate. I want a smartboard in my classroom so that I can use it, but other than that I will probably have a classroom blog, and I will definitely use Google earth!

No comments:

Post a Comment