About Me

My photo
I'm a 24 year old mommy and full-time student. I love learning and going to school, but I'd love even more to be finished with school!

Sunday, August 23, 2009

The Importance of Creativity

Sir Ken Robinson gives an incredible talk about the stifling nature of public education systems on our children and their creativity. He explains how there is a hierarchy of subjects and creativity almost always lands at the bottom. This video really makes one reconsider the way in which he approaches a child in the classroom. Perhaps our previous methods of learning weren't as great as we thought they were. We are molding children to become "the most educated," only offering jobs to those with the highest degree. But that is not what is important. We as educators should be channeling talents and helping these children explore those talents. We should not force our kids to put creativity on the back burner. Allow kids to explore both math and the arts, dancing and english, science and drama. Combine the two, traditional academics and the arts, and allow the child to see what can come of them.
This video confirmed my career choice. I don't want to be another teacher in the public school system that bases success on Standardized testing. I was to help children learn and explore. I want them to find what interests them and then help them focus it and allow it to be productive.

No comments:

Post a Comment