About Me

My photo
I'm a 24 year old mommy and full-time student. I love learning and going to school, but I'd love even more to be finished with school!

Tuesday, September 22, 2009

The Last Lecture

This is a photo of Randy Pausch giving his last lecture and laughing.
I've watched this video before, and honestly, I was not looking forward to sitting down and watching it again. But once it started, I realized I'd forgotten how amazing this man's zest for life was. Even when faced with the unthinkable, he was able to find the positive. I love the fact that he was not only trying to impart some knowledge on his audience, but doing it with humor.
When he listed his childhood dreams, he was specific. He didn't just list that he wanted to some big things. He listed exactly what big things he wanted to accomplish as a child. And just because he didn't achieve some of his childhood goals, didn't mean he didn't learn an incredible lesson in trying to achieve them.
He stated that he wanted to experience zero gravity. This would be an impossible feat for many people. This was an impossible feat for himself, but he managed to find a way. Faculty and staff couldn't participate in the project, so he resigned as faculty and re-applied as a press worker. Even when faced with adversity, he didn't give up. He took the opportunity given to him, and readjusted his own position so that he could experience those things that were important to him.
The types of things he spoke of in his last talk are good life lessons that he felt everyone should learn. Even when faced with death in a few short weeks, he wanted to teach people. This is the kind of teacher I want to be. I want to never stop learning, never stop reaching for my goals, and never stop teaching others things that I learn along the way.

No comments:

Post a Comment